Answers to Diana’s Quiz – September 3, 2016
- The European Union began as the European Coal and Steel Community in 1951, as a pact between France and West Germany, then it became the EEC, the European Economic Community, in 1958, with 4 additional nations: Luxembourg, Belgium, Italy and the Netherlands. It became the EU under the Maastricht Treaty in 1993.
- The Greeks lured the unwieldy Persian fleet into the Straits of Salamis; where the smaller and more agile Greek fleet sank most of it.
- The American showman, politician and businessman, PT Barnum, is credited with saying that there’s a sucker born every minute.
- 7 no trump is the highest bridge bid.
- A slice in golf is a curving shot with a lot of sidespin which sends the ball travelling left to right (or right to left for left-handed golfers) rather than straight ahead.