Preparing and cooking a boneless side of fresh salmon makes a perfect and delicious party dish. It can be served chilled or hot. The fish monger will prepare the boneless salmon side for you upon a request. Its important to gently rub your hand over the salmon to check for any bones left behind. They are easily removed with tweezers. Decorating the salmon is simple using thin slices of cucumber or thin lemon slices to look like fish scales. You can also have the skin removed, but it does make it easier to move the salmon and it may allow the fish to cook a little faster.
Makes 7 to 8 servings
- ½ whole fresh filleted salmon with skin, about 2 lbs (1 kg)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup with 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper for sprinkling
- Thinly sliced cucumber for garnish
- Garnish; cucumber cut into thin slices
1. Preheat barbecue to medium high. Oil the grill.
2. Place fish skin side down on bake sheet. Brush maple syrup/lemon juice over the skinless side of the salmon; brush oil on both sides. Generously sprinkle salt and pepper over the skinless side.
3. Place salmon on grill, skin side down. Close lid and leave undisturbed until grill marks appear on skin side, about 2 minutes. Close lid again until salmon becomes opaque in the centre about 2½ – 3 minutes. Remove fish to a heated platter for 8 to 10 minutes to allow juices to settle. Or allow fish to cool and serve salmon as a salad. Decorate the salmon with the thin slices cucumber. Serve sauce with the fish.
Cucumber Caper Sauce
Makes about 2 cup (200 ml)
- 2 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp (60 ml) flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- ½ cup (125 ml) water or fish juices
- ½ English cucumber, partially peeled, cut into 3 sections
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 – 2 tbsp (30 – 60 ml) caper or lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt or to taste
- Pinch chili powder or more to taste
Melt butter in small saucepan, Stir in flour and cook over medium-low heat for 1 minutes. Whisk in milk and water plus any available fish juices. Meanwhile place cucumber and capers in food processor and puree the cucumber until finely chopped. Place mixture in a bowl; season with salt and pinch of chilli to give a little kick to the taste.