The winners of the 2013 Public Speaking Contest were recognized at the April 9th General Meeting of the Almonte Branch 240 Royal Canadian Legion. The public speaking contest took place on February 24, and all story-tellers and speakers were interesting, entertaining, and very brave! The contest was organized with thanks to volunteer judges Anne-Marie Morrison, Dorothy Robertson, Kate McDonough and Colleen Skjaveland, volunteer time-keeper Donna Lynch, and volunteer scorekeepers and scrutineers Robin Milks and Doug Sutherland, and Branch 240 Youth Education Chair Jane Torrance.
We congratulate all speakers, including the following winners who accepted their certificates of award and cash prizes:
Primary (grades 1-3)
- Brooklyn Kentfield, R. Tait McKenzie Public School, Olivia
- Jensen Langlois, Naismith Memorial Public School, Le rouge c’est bien mieux
- Charles Chan, Naismith Memorial Public School, Mortimer
Junior (grades 4-6)
- Ruby Watters, Pakenham Public School, “Figure Skating”
- Kayleigh Vallier, R. Tait McKenzie Public School, “Polar Bears”
- Hailey McDougall, R. Tait McKenzie Public School, “Beavers”
Intermediate (grades 7-9)
- Christina Reid, Holy Name of Mary “Youth of Today”
Senior (grades 10-12)
First place finishers Brooklyn Kentfield (R. Tait McKenzie Public School) Ruby Watters (Pakenham Public School) and Christina Reid (Holy Name of Mary Catholic School) advanced to Zone Competition in Constance Bay, where our local speakers were very competent and engaging but failed to advance to Regionals.
Congratulations to all!