This popular Italian salad symbolizing their flag of red, white and green is often served as an antipasto or starter for a meal. It’s made with alternate slices of buffalo or fresh mozzarella cheese and tomato seasoned with olive oil or balsamic vinegar and flavoured with fresh oregano or basil leaves. Instead of the alternate slices try this recipe making individual stacks of the cheese and tomato slices.
- 4 – 5 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 fresh mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar glaze optional
- 2 basil sprigs, leaves separated from stems
1. Slice the tomatoes and cheese to the same thickness. There are several different ways of plating the tomato and cheese being sure to lightly salt and pepper the slices. The tomato and cheese slices can be placed alternately. Or, can be placed in stacks in a circular pattern.
2. For flavour sprinkle on salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. At serving time sprinkle on balsamic glaze.
If you have any questions about a recipe or other food question, please email:firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 613-728-3253