8-inch (20 cm) cake
6 oz (150 g) semi-sweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, cubed
1/4 cup (50 mL) rum, brandy or strong coffee
1/2 cup (125 mL) ground almonds
1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour or cornstarch (gluten free)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Butter 8-inch (20 cm) springform pan. Sprinkle with flour; shake out excess.
- In small saucepan, add chocolate and butter and place over low heat. When chocolate is melted add rum, brandy or coffee. Stir well until smooth. Remove from heat
- Meanwhile, spread the almonds on bake sheet and roast 8 – t0 minutes to refresh the nuts without browning them.
- In mixing bowl of a beater, beat half the sugar with egg yolks until lemon colored. Stir in chocolate mixture and the almonds.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly sprinkle in remaining sugar while continue to beat then gently sprinkle in flour and chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes and outside of the cake is firm and the centre remains soft but not runny nor dry. Leave cake to stand 10 minutes then unmold to cool on rack or onto a serving platter.
3 1/2 squares semi-sweet chocolate, chopped in small chunks
2½ tbsp (32 mL) butter
2 – 3 tbsp (25 – 40 mL) coffee or water
Garnish: 6 ounces (170g) fresh raspberries
Or ¼ cup (50 mL) toasted almond slivers
In small saucepan, stir chocolate and butter over low heat until melted and add coffee or water stirring until mixture is smooth. Pour over cake and sides and use a small spatula to smooth top and sides. Decorate with slivered almonds or fresh raspberries.