Serves 4 to 5
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt or a little more for taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) pine nuts
- 3 to 4 leaves of kale with main stem pulled away
- 1 cup (250 ml) each blueberries and or raspberries and or strawberries
- 4 oz. (113 g) soft chèvre, feta or Roquefort cut or break into 1/2-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
1. Add the oil and vinegar plus salt and black pepper in the bottom of the salad bowl. To test the flavour, use a small piece of bread dipped into the dressing.
2. Toast the pine nuts in hot frying pan shaking the pan for several minutes or until lightly golden. They tend to burn, so keep an eye on them. Set aside.
3. Tear the large kale leaves into two or four pieces in the salad bowl and toss in the berries. Toss the kale and berries with the salad dressing. Tuck the pieces of cheese among the salad. Sprinkle on the pine nuts.
Pine nuts turn rancid very quickly so store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to use.