by Susan Hanna
This delicious cake from the Eat With Us cookbook is made in a cast-iron skillet. Pre-heat the skillet and then coat the hot pan with melted butter. Add the cake batter to the pan, top with strawberries and bake for about 35 minutes. Let cool, then remove the cake from the skillet. Dust with icing sugar, top with more berries and serve.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Use butter that does not contain colour. Astro Original Balkan-Style Yogurt is additive free. Use pure maple syrup and pure vanilla extract. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit Eye For a Recipe.
- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) plus 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup (250 ml) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise, plus additional for serving
- Icing sugar, for serving
- Place a 10-inch (25-cm) cast-iron skillet in the oven and preheat to 350°F (177°C).
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk ½ cup (125 ml) of the butter until it is soft and fluffy, then mix in the rest of the butter, yogurt and eggs. Stir in the maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix until just combined.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and add 1 tbsp (15 ml) of butter. Using oven mitts to hold the skillet, swirl the butter around to coat the entire pan. Pour in the batter and use the back of a spoon to spread it into an even layer. Top with the strawberries.
- Using oven mitts, place the skillet back into the oven and bake for 35 minutes, until the cake is lightly browned and a knife or toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake has cooled, place on a cake stand and dust generously with icing sugar. Top with additional strawberries.
From Eat With Us