In October I advised readers of this column that three surveyors from Accreditation Canada would be visiting Almonte General Hospital and Fairview Manor (AGH/FVM) to conduct an external peer review based on standards of excellence which would identify opportunities to improve what we are doing in order to provide the best possible care and service to our patients and residents.
Pat Somers, Cathie Badeau and Annette Snow spent two and a half days at AGH/FVM meeting with staff, physicians, volunteers, patients, family members and representatives of organizations we work with, touring the facilities and reviewing documentation
I am pleased to report that AGH/FVM met 98.8% of Accreditation Canada’s high priority criteria applicable to AGH and 96.5% of its’ other criteria, for an overall score of 97.5%. We met 27 of 29, or 93% of the Required Organizational Practices (ROPs), which are the areas where Accreditation Canada places greatest emphasis.
Comments in the report included:
- Without exception a key strength of Almonte General Hospital/Fairview Manor is its people!
- Community partners comments used words such as welcoming, inclusive, outreach, collaboration and partnership
- The renovated reprocessing area is excellent
- Overall, the Almonte General Hospital/Fairview Manor is well-attuned to the needs of the community and strives to provide the services that are required
- Almonte General Hospital/Fairview Manor has been awarded Accreditation. We will be providing a report to Accreditation Canada in March 2015 to demonstrate that the organization has addressed the two ROPs unmet during the survey related to informing and educating clients and families verbally and in writing about their role in promoting safety and to the assessment of pressure ulcer risk for surgical inpatients. A second report describing our process for assessing the effectiveness of the pressure ulcer program for surgical inpatients will be submitted in March 2016.
I would like to extend my thanks to all at AGH/FVM who worked so hard to prepare for and participate in the Accreditation survey. Our results reflect your dedication to the safe, high quality care we strive to provide every day.
Special thanks to the community partners and to the patients, residents and families who took the time to speak with the Surveyors. Your input was very helpful and much appreciated.
Mary Wilson Trider is President and CEO of Almonte General Ho