1. A chimera is the mythological creature devised from a lion, goat and serpent.
2. The famous Odessa steps scene takes place in Sergei Eisenstein’s 1925 silent movie‘Battleship Potemkin’.
3. A deipnosophist is an entertaining conversationalist at the dinner table. No doubt many readers either are or know one.
4. Han van Meegeren was probably the most famous art forger of the last century. He successfully fooled the experts and critics with his ‘Supper at Emmaus’, painted in the style of Johannes Vermeer. Frans Hals, Gerard ter Borch and Vermeer were the best-known artists he forged. He was tried and sentenced after WWII for having collaborated with the Nazis, after one of his forgeries was found in the collection of Herman Goering.
5. Stu Grimson had the nickname the Grim Reaper, having earned more than 2,100 penalty minutes for fighting during his 729 NHL game career, from 1988 to 2002.