Answers to Diana’s Quiz
- The world’s longest suspension span is the Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge in Japan from the island of Awaji to Kobe on Honshu, a distance of 4 miles. It took 2 million workers ten years to complete it.
- Strakes are strips of planking or plating running lengthwise along a vessel’s side or bottom, to keep the sea out and the boat afloat.
- Professor Calculus was a character in the Adventures of Tintin series of books created by Belgian cartoonist Georges Remi.
- In botany, an epiphyte grows harmlessly on another plant and derives its moisture from the air and rain and debris surrounding it. A parasite benefits by taking nutrients at the expense of its host.
- A jellyfish has no brain.