by Diana Filer
1. Gilles Vigneault composed Mon Pays.
2. Phineas Taylor Barnum is the full name of the American showman and politician
3. Yellow Fever became an epidemic in the USA mostly in Philadelphia during the summer of 1793. It is a mosquito-borne illness, and was probably caused by those insects brought in from Saint Domingue, then a colony in what is now Haiti.
4. The meaning of the Hudson’s Bay Company’s motto ‘pro pelle cutem’ is ‘a skin for a skin’, or ‘a pelt for a skin’
5. Brutus of Troy was the founder of Britain, after whom it is named. There is still debate as to whether or not he was a legend.