by Diana Filer
- Hallowe’en derives from the pre-Christian Celtic festival ‘Samhain’, which originated in what is now Ireland and Great Britain, when people went door to door offering prayers for the dead in exchange for cakes and other goodies.
- The poet Virgil accompanied Dante through The Inferno, the first book of The Divine Comedy.
- The Royal is a small sail that flies immediately above the topgallant on square-rigged sailing ships.
- Knockeruppers was a profession of men who ran through the streets of towns and cities during the Industrial Revolution, in the absence of accurate timepieces and clocks, to wake up the townspeople so that they could get to work on time.
- Actor/comedian Steve Martin is an ardent fan of Group of Seven artist Lawren Harris. He owns 3 of his works.