by Susan Hanna
The Barefoot Contessa’s latest cookbook, Make It Ahead, contains make-ahead instructions for every recipe it contains. This garlic and herb roasted shrimp is a terrific dish and so easy. Melt some butter, add olive oil, seasonings and lemon zest. Pour over the shrimp and pop the dish in the fridge. When you are ready to eat, roast the shrimp for about 15 minutes. Serve with crusty bread or rice, and a salad or green vegetable.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives
Use butter that contains only cream and look for shrimp with no additives. For more recipes using all-natural ingredients, visit www.eyeforarecipe.ca.
- ¼ pound (125 g/1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) minced fresh rosemary leaves
- ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large lemons
- 2 pounds (1 kg) shrimp, peeled with the tails on
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) coarse sea salt
- 4 slices country bread, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 C).
- Melt the butter over low heat in a medium (10-inch/25-cm) sauté pan. Add the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon (2 ml) black pepper and cook over low heat for one minute. Off the heat, zest one of the lemons directly into the butter mixture.
- Meanwhile, arrange the shrimp snugly in one layer in a large (12-inch/30-cm) round ovenproof sauté pan (or 10 x 13-inch/25 x 33-cm baking dish) with only the tails overlapping. Pour the butter mixture over the shrimp. Sprinkle with the sea salt and ½ teaspoon (2ml) black pepper.
- Slice the ends off the zested lemon, cut five (¼-inch/6-cm-thick) slices, and tuck them among the shrimp. Roast for 12 to 15 minutes, just until the shrimp are firm, pink, and cooked through. Cut the remaining lemon in half and squeeze the juice onto the shrimp.
- Serve hot with the toasted bread for dipping into the garlic butter. To make ahead, prep the dish and refrigerate it in the pan. Roast before serving. Serves 4.
From Make it Ahead by the Barefoot Contessa