- 2 cups (500 ml) unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) rolled oats
- 2 cups (500 ml) bran flakes
- ½ tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) shortening
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) flour for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Lightly grease baking sheet or cover with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, sugar, rolled oats, bran flakes, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening and toss to combine evenly. Stir in water until dough begins to clump. Make two balls of dough.
3. Roll each ball on floured board into a rectangle about 1/8-inch thickness. Place on lightly prepared bake sheet. Cut into 2-in (5- cm) strip then cut each strip into 3-in (8 cm) oatcakes. Bake until golden brown and crisp about 8 to 10 minutes.