by Susan Hanna
You can make this pork noodle stir fry from the January 2013 issue of Canadian Living as mild or spicy as you like. Once you start cooking, the stir-fry is done in less than 15 minutes, so be sure to have all your ingredients ready to go before you begin. I whirred a pork tenderloin around in my food processor instead of buying pre-ground pork, and that worked very well. I also sliced my own cabbage, instead of buying coleslaw mix. You could add any vegetables you have on hand to this dish.
Avoiding Additives and Preservatives:
Soy sauce, chili garlic paste, rice vinegar and sesame oil can contain artificial ingredients. Instead of soy sauce, try tamari, which is preserved with alcohol instead of sodium benzoate. I used Tabasco brand hot sauce instead of chili garlic paste. Marukan light seasoned rice vinegar and Eden toasted sesame oil are both additive free. For more recipes made with all-natural ingredients, visit www.eyeforarecipe.ca.
- 4 oz (113 g) rice stick vermicelli, (about 1/8 inch/3 mm wide)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili garlic paste, (such as sambal oelek)
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 oz (227 g) lean ground pork
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup (250 mL) coleslaw mix
- ½ cup (125 mL) snow peas, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
In large bowl, soak vermicelli in warm water until softened and separated, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, whisk together soy sauce, chili paste, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, salt and 2/3 cup (150 mL) water; set aside.
In wok or large skillet over medium-high heat, cook pork, stirring occasionally and breaking up with back of wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove pork to plate. Drain and set aside.
Wipe wok clean and return to heat. Add vegetable oil and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add coleslaw mix, snow peas, green onions and garlic; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Stir in soy sauce mixture and noodles, tossing to combine; stir-fry until tender, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with peanuts.
From the January 2013 issue of Canadian Living