It’s “National Canoe Day”!
In celebration of National Canoe Day on Friday, June 26, the Mississippi Valley Field Naturalists (MVFN) have created the foundation of a virtual pictorial tour of the Mississippi River and other waterways and lakes of Lanark Country, as seen from the water.
BUT we need YOUR input of pictures with brief descriptions that you have taken from your canoe or kayak. You do NOT have to be a member of MVFN to participate in this project! Anyone can contribute.
We encourage you to get out on the water between National Canoe Day, June 26, and Canada Day, Wednesday, July 1, to capture in pictures the natural world that we can see from the water in our beautiful Lanark County. We will accept entries until Saturday, July 4.
Go to the link provided, and locate where your picture/s were taken, mark the location with a pin, then put your picture/s and descriptions on the site. You do NOT need to be “tech-savvy” to do this – it’s easy (honest!).
If you can’t get out on the water this coming week, and you have pictures from a previous paddle, you can also post those.
Here is the link to the MVFN National Canoe Day Virtual Tour:
Here is how to use it:
1) Use link to open map
2) In the control panel in the upper left, select the location pin (looks like an inverted drop)
3) Tap or click on the location on the map where you want to post your picture
4) Change the text from “point #” to a title of your location
5) In the text box you may write a brief description of your photo
6) Select the camera icon. You will be presented with a number of options to upload a photo, including drag and drop and “select a file from your device”. If you select the second option you will have the choice of taking a new photo or video, or uploading a photo from your files.
For any questions concerning using the Google Map program, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mississippi Valley Field Naturalists’ (MVFN) is a local group, organized and run by volunteers, that seeks to increase local residents’ knowledge of, enjoyment of, and respect for the natural world in the Mississippi River watershed and other areas of Lanark County. We endeavour to do this through several programs, including: monthly nature talks (now live on Zoom!), nature walks, birding outings, day paddles, annual Paddle Camp, educational programs in local schools, a Young Naturalists’ monthly program, and much more. For information on what we do, or to get a membership, please go to our website at: http://www.mvfn.ca
We all look forward to seeing all the postings and places where you’ve been paddling nearby! We will repost the link after July 4 so you can view the final map and take the “Magical Mississippi/Lanark County Waterways Virtual Tour” Thanks for your interest and participation!
MVFN National Canoe Day Project Team