1. Although an imprecise measurement to begin with, a hair’s breadth is now usually thought of as 1/48 of an inch. It is interesting that in the Burmese system of Long Measure, ‘’tshan kyee’’ literally means hair’s breadth.
2. There are 8 bones in the human wrist.
3. One explanation of the term hifalutin is that is derives from ‘high fluting’, the sounds that a flute makes being high and airy. Another explanation is that it came from the early United States, when the richer settlers could afford to travel by steamboat. These methods of transportation had high, fluted funnels.
4. Uhuru Kenyatta became the President of Kenya this year, even though he has been indicted for crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court in The Hague. His father, the Kikuyu tribesman Jomo Kenyatta, was the first president in 1964, although he became the country’s first president in 1963. The word ‘uhuru’ means ‘freedom’ in Swahili.
5. The Roughriders is the name of Saskatchewan’s professional football team.