makes 4-6 servings
These ribs are not complicated to make and are so delicious. The dry rub is full of flavour with some spiciness and the ribs are baked then they are brushed with a delicious maple syrup sauce before baking again. The ribs are dry to your fingers without leaving a sticky sauce on your fingers when eating them. If you like to use fresh ginger, I store my ginger in the freezer then remove it to defrost 5 minutes and grate it or cut into slivers depending on the recipe.
- 4 pounds (2 kg) pork side or back ribs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (15 ml) ground dried or fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cayenne or hot pepper
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) crumbled oregano
- 3/4 tsp (3 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. If desired, remove the thin membrane covering the bones at narrow end of the rack; place ribs on cutting board, meat side down and insert tip of a knife beneath the thin membrane covering the bones at the narrow end of the rack. Use paper towel to grip the membrane, and just peel off the membrane and discard.
3. To make rub, combine the cumin, ginger, coriander, red pepper, oregano, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture on top surface and on the ribs underneath. Fit the ribs in a single layer in a rimmed baking pan. Pour in 1 cup boiling water into the pan. Cover entire pan with foil, sealing edges. Bake 1 hour. Discard water.
4. Make the maple sauce. Brush it over the top and underneath the ribs. One can leave rib slabs whole or cut into sections of 2 ribs. If ribs are separated, brush along the cut sides. Return the ribs to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Serve the ribs with mashed potatoes or seasoned rice plus a salad.
- ¼ cup (50 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cayenne pepper or red pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground or fresh ginger
In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup, vinegars, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and ginger and bring to hard boil. Remove from heat