- 2 lbs (1 kg) white raisins
- 11Ž2 lbs (675g) candied pineapple pieces, coarsely chopped
- 4 oz (112g) chopped citron peel
- 1 lb (450g) dried cranberries, halved
- 1Ž2 lb (225g) slivered or sliced almonds or pecans
- 1 cup (250 ml) brandy or Port or liqueur
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla
- 5 cups (1 L, 250 ml)) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) almond extract
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon
- 1 lb (450g) butter at room temperature
- 2 cups (500 ml) granulated sugar
- 8 roam-free, room temperature eggs (if eggs are still cold, place them in hot water for two minutes)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1. In large bowl, combine raisins, pineapple pieces, citron peel, cranberries or slivered almonds. Stir in brandy or port or liqueur and vanilla. Totally cover the bowl and leave for two days. Stir to mix ingredients several times
2. Line the loaf pans with parchment paper or butter pans. Tie two layers brown paper around the outside of the pans extending 1” (2 cm) above rim.
3. Preheat oven to 275○F (130○C) Place pan of hot water on bottom shelf of oven.
4. In mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until mixture is fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition is well combined until all eggs are added.
5. Gently stir the flour and salt through the fruit and nut mixture using a rubber spatula or your hands.
6. Fill prepared pans. Make a 1” (2.5 cm) deep trench in the top surface to allow cake to a flat surface when the cake is baked. Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Use cake tester that comes out clean. Cool cakes in pan. Remove from the pans. Cool and wrap well. Store in refrigerator for one week then freeze at least 3 weeks before serving.