Another year has almost come and gone. When you reflect back on 2014 have you achieved your health goals for the year? If yes, then congratulations on a job well done!!
Your health – your mental, your physical and your emotional health is the most important thing you own. Yes, you own it, and that means you have the power to change it. As a Chiropractor I work hard to help people understand this crucial fact. I aid the body in its quest for great health. Sometimes your physical body needs a boost in the form of an adjustment; sometimes it’s your mental health, a look into your support systems, the causes behind your life stress. Sometimes it’s your emotional mind that needs some reflection.
This is the most important investment you will make. You only get one body. Please take good care of it – body, mind and soul.
Here are some easy ways to help you take care of yourself.
1. Drink more water – that’s easy! Many of us are dehydrated and don’t even know it.
2. Cut down on sugar and processed foods. Choose to eat foods that are ingredients, not food that contains ingredients.
3. Make the time to exercises- there are 24 hours in a day. You will find at least 30 minutes to exercises; whether or not you choose to use it is up to you.
4. Take the right supplements – talk with a health care professional about supplements such as omega 3 which can help reduce inflammation in the body or B vitamins to help your body cope with stress.
5. Get sleep – however you can. There are loads of natural sleep aids available. Talk to a health care professional or one of the knowledgeable people at the health food stores we have in town.
6. De-stress. Take some time to reflect on your current situation. What is the root of your stress? Is it your job? Is it your finances? Find ways to modify or change these situations. The results may not be instant but at least you are on your way to a less stressful situation.
7. Put things into perspective – Take it one day at a time. It takes dedication to get healthy and to stay healthy. Your health and the health of your family is worth a little hard work. Don’t keep putting it off.
If these steps seem overwhelming, here is what to do…
Pick one. If it’s drink more water then do that and only focus on that. Feel good about doing it. Be proud of yourself. Don’t worry about all of the other things that you are not doing. You have taken that first step!! Congratulations.
Then, in a couple of months when drinking more water has become a habit, and you don’t even think about it anymore, then it’s time to pick another goal. Go for a walk 5 days a week – Mississippi Mills has great resources to help you on your journey to health. Excellent gyms, health food stores, fitness groups, recreational clubs and Chiropractors. – Live your healthy lifestyle now.Dr. Jennifer Fergusson is a Chiropractor and Acupuncture provider. She maintains a family practice at the Hands on Healing Center in Almonte.