The attendees overwhelmingly commended the workshop held at the Almonte Old Town Hall, on Tuesday, October 20. One evaluation comment was, “I’m 70 and had no idea these organizations existed and the size of the issues.”
The program addresses the following topics:
- Aging in place (in-home support services, transportation services)
- Residential options (retirement residences, assisted living, long-term care)
- Special medical services (physiotherapy, chemotherapy, dialysis, assistive devices, etc.)
- End of life options (palliative care, hospice)
Following the presentations and questions from attendees lunch will be served at a nominal cost of $5 (free to CARP members).
Registration for the workshop is required. Call Lisa Ryan at 613.256.1031 ext. 62 during business hours or send an email to email@example.com to register. Please specify the names of each attendee, if each is a CARP member and which event location you are attending.
Registration is now open for the workshop at the following locations:
- November 3, 9 am – 1 at Smiths Falls Kinsmen Community Pavilion, Lower Reach Park, 12 Old Sly’s Road (register by Oct. 29)
- November 17, 9 am – 1 at Perth Civitan Hall, 6787 Hwy 43 (register by Nov. 10)
The Honourable Sharon Carstairs, P.C., retired Senator, will be speaking at the Smiths Falls event on end of life planning. While in the Senate Carstairs served as Minister with Special Responsibility for Palliative Care. Carstairs was chairperson of the Special Committee on Aging which issued a report that helped get palliative care added to the core curriculum in Canadian medical schools.
Other speakers scheduled for one or both of the workshops include:
- Suzanne Bourbonnais, Mgr. Client Services, Community Home Support – Lanark County
- Patti Lennox, Mgr., Caregiver Support & Community Programs, Community and Primary Health Care
- Tracy Elliott, Community Relations Coordinator – I & R Services, South East CCAC, Brockville
- Meredith Cullen, RN, Primary Care Outreach Program to Seniors, North Lanark Community Health Centre
The CARP (Canadian Association of Retired Persons) Lanark County chapter board of directors has received funding from the Government of Ontario to create and host this workshop. In addition the workshop creation has received generous support from the Mills Community Support staff.
Find out who does what, what services are available in your community and how to access what you need by registering for one of the locations now.
Contact: Jeff Mills, (613) 256-1031 x63