This light and easy pâté marries toasted walnut with the woodland taste of mushrooms; it’s great for wraps or sandwiches. The best crackers to serve with the pâté are the plain water biscuits or crosini which, are toasted French bread slices brushed with extra-virgin olive oil. Unfortunately many crackers are highly seasoned which can take away the delicate mushroom flavour.
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped walnuts or pecans
- 8 oz (250 g) portobello or brown mushrooms, washed, drained
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- ¼ cup (60 ml) finely chopped onions
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lemon juice or to taste
- ¾ tsp (4ml) salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
1. Toast the walnuts: heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add the nuts and stir until an aroma rises, set aside. Discard the tough ends of the mushroom stems; place the mushrooms and nuts in the processor and process until finely minced. Remove and reserve.
2. Reheat the skillet over medium-low heat, add the butter and sweat the onions and garlic, covered for 5 minutes, stirring several times. Raise the heat to high, stir in the mushrooms/nut mixture and sauté for 1 minute, stirring often. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and cayenne pepper. Cool pâté in a small serving bowl or press into the bowl.